Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Trial-R1

Well the defense team was stellar yesterday. In fact bored at the lame pace of events. Stick and suck, wait, poke, prod and measure... wait, stick and drip, wait, measure, wait, measure, wait, measure wait. 8 hours later I left for home. Neither my blood pressure or temperature reacted. I got through most of a good murder mystery set in the fictitious town of Millers Kill, just up the Hudson River from my home town. I like the way places and businesses were renamed to protect the innocent. When the nurse pulled my IV and splattered blood on the page I was reading it added nicely to the thrill.

In short I was randomized in the clinical trial to receive the high dose of TRM-1 (a Fully Human Monoclonal Antibody to TRAIL-R1 which appears to have some anti-myeloma efficacy). So after I received the Velcade and a 1 hour infusion of TRM-1 I sat around for 4 hours to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction. Hence all the measure and wait crap.

The Benadryl they gave me knocked me out by 8. Now I just feel like I had a lousy breakfast. I'll be watching for these especially exciting Velcade side effects:

  • vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds (I filter my coffee)
  • inability to speak or understand speech (normal interaction with colleagues)
  • loss of memory (normal, besides how would I know?)
  • loss of vision (after the memory loss would be preferred)
  • difficulty thinking clearly (maybe Lu could comment on these?)
  • difficulty using good judgment (normal)
  • difficulty understanding reality (normal)

Provided I can see if I hurl coffee grounds you all will have to let me know if I seem to be especially "normal" in some unique way.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I have been reading your blog for a while, but this is my first comment. This one really got me! ;-) I was diagnosed with MM in late 2005, and my hematologist wanted to start me on Velcade (but, in a nutshell, I began taking curcumin, which has kept me stable since then). My doctor had told me (in 2005) that I wouldn't have any vile side effects from Velcade, so when today I read your side effects list, I was much amused. (Hope you don't have ANY of 'em, by the way!) Anyway, I really enjoy your sense of humor. Take care, and best wishes for the trial, Margaret in Florence, Italy (my story is on my blog: http://margaret.healthblogs.org/ , and, by the way, I hope you don't mind my linking to your blog)