Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lot-O-Numbers


So it took an extra week for the lab techs to determine they were "Unable to Quantitate" my M-spike. Seeings how I started with "None" I should not try to quantify "Unable to Quantitate". My official clinical trial "Response Report" summarizes the findings as "Stable Disease".

Now to add a nice twist (or rant) to all this. My lovely mutation does not express an M-spike and therefore watching it is a stupid idea. Name calling is inappropriate though. So I watch the levels of a particular light chain protein which is monitored with a serum free light chain assay or a similar urine electrophoresis free light chain test. Over the last 2+ months my expression of lambda free light chains has dropped from about 1500 to 1000 (mg/dL) after a trend of doubling every 2 months previously.

I'm going with the optimistic perspective on the "Stable" interpretation.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Woo hoo! Stable is good!!

Don said...

I always thought "stable" was a wussy word, or a horsey place, until my doctor used it to describe my myeloma :-)

Now I love it.