Wednesday, November 21, 2007

NOXA

Noxa is Latin for damage. In the molecular biology world it refers to a protein that promotes cell death (pro-apoptotic). The wonderful drug I take screws around with the Noxa levels (hopefully just in the myeloma cells). A few researchers at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center (as well as numerous others) are working on enhancing the NOXA effects of Velcade (bortezomib).

"Now we can rationally design drugs that enhance bortezomib's action and favor NOXA production," she says. "Improvements might make it possible to give lower doses of the drug for a shorter time." [Medical News Today]

I for one would like to take significantly less bortezomib. It feels like there is a bit too much programed cell death going on in my muscles (and head.) The UM study focused on melanoma which I should now have a much lower chance of ever developing. Ye ha.

If the folks at
MIT could just Remote-Control a few billion Nanoparticles to Deliver Drugs Directly Into my laughing plasma cells I'd be all set.

2 comments:

Tablets online said...

What about cancer cells?

L.P. Cells said...

Velcade has very little known efficacy against MM stem cells. NOXA is also not expressed by stem cells in general but I am not sure about MM stem cells in specific.