Thursday, December 13, 2007

Sunny Environment

It just so happens that we (Buffalo) are getting our first real snow of the season. Backwash from the nasty weather that blasted the middle of the country a few days ago. I am sitting here looking at the puffy white stuff when I get this picture from my Mom on the Sunny Florida Gulf coast. I can wear shorts here by the wood stove, but that's it.

It is the fresh clean look that got me thinking about where or when I might have strayed into some ugly environmental toxin. Dr. Durie, chairman of the IMF, gave a presentation on the genetic finding from the myeloma DNA Bank on a Cure.

The study found that genetic pathways associated with the ability to neutralize environmental toxins are defective in patients with classic myeloma. "Identifying these genetic pathways was unexpected," said Brian G.M. Durie, M.D. "We were looking at bone biology and the SNPs associated with toxin metabolism fell into place. Now, working back through the gene pathways, we have a robust model of myeloma bone disease that may explain the epidemiological observations." [ref]

This is exciting news for my grand children. We may be able to identify those individuals most susceptible to environmental toxins and advise them of appropriate precautionary measures. Linking these finding to clinical therapies effecting a cure would really brighten my day.

No comments: