Friday, December 28, 2007

TRIAL-R

As some of you might recall I got booted off the mapatumumab/Velcade trial a few weeks ago. An online preprint article published in JCI, TRAIL-R deficiency in mice promotes susceptibility to chronic inflammation and tumorigenesis seems to suggest that if one is deficient in TRIAL-R (a cell death-signally receptor) then an anti-TRIAL-R drug would not help matters. I of course am reading between the lines here, but the drug manufacturer is developing a test to screen for patients which over express TRIAL-R so as to target the biologic to those patients most likely to benefit from mapatumumab.

As we have learned genetic abnormalities in combination with any number of other stresses is the most likely path to cancer. The plethora of known and yet undiscovered genetic abnormalities which predispose one to a problem is daunting. Most MMers have a genetic abnormality impairing out ability to metabolize toxins. Add to that any number of other factors like a TRIAL-R deficiency and you have yet another of the countless ways to aid you in the manifestation of a disease.

So if you won the genetic lottery and happen to have no potential health related genetic abnormalities, are stunningly beautiful, amazingly intelligent, and have miraculously avoided environmental toxins, then I'm jealous. What can I say. You won the lottery and I didn't.

Happy New Year.

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

Sigh...
Anyway, Happy New Year to us all, even the genetically imperfect.

Don said...

Neither did I. :-)

Happy New Year to you.

Margaret said...

Hey, LP Cells, your remark about being stunningly beautiful made me think of a short story by Jeffrey Deaver that I read some time ago. I forget the details, but in a nutshell, it was about an absolutely gorgeous young woman...I mean the kind of woman that everyone stops to look at when she walks down a street. Women were overwhelmed with jealousy and wished they had even a tiny bit of her beauty. For this reason, she was very lonely. No friends, I mean. But even worse, she had so much trouble with men following her around and harassing her, in particular with an absolutely mad stalker, that in the end...well, sorry to spoil the story if you ever have the chance to read it, but in the end she had plastic surgery that made her look "normal." Her stalker stopped stalking her, and she lived happily ever after, as I recall. I really liked that story. In sum, being gorgeous doesn't mean that you have won the lottery. Although I certainly wouldn't mind being amazingly intelligent, having normal genes and having managed to avoid evil toxins in the past, that's for sure!
Happy New Year to you and yours!
:-)
Margaret
Florence, Italy