Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Cycling Continues

I'm referring to my ad hoc clinical trial of one in which I cycle the use of curcumin. A bit of background info is probably needed so bear with me.

Back on September 9th of last year I started on 28 day Revlimid+Dex regimen (25 mg days 1-21 + 20 mg days 1, 8 & 15). After a 75% reduction in my protein expression in the first 3 cycles dex was stopped. A further 10% serum protein reduction was achieved in the next 2 cycles as well as improvements in antibody levels and lambda/kappa ratio. The 6th cycle saw a 10% increase. A supplement regimen was started at the beginning of the 7th cycle which consisted of C3 complex curcuminiods (8 gr), organic flax seed oil (1 gr) and EPA/DHA (860/580 mg). A 3% decrease in protein expression was seen.

Was the response just a normal fluctuation in expression or correlated with the supplementation? The synergistic effects of curcumin with bortezomib and thalidomide have been observed by Aggarwhal's group at MD Anderson both in vitro and in a xenograft model in nude mice. (http://tinyurl.com/c2hlfx) So to address the question a cycling of supplementation vs. no supplementation was started. Relative to the previous cycle the trend is:

Cycle 7 (supplementation) 11% decrease

Cycle 8 (no supplementation) 45% increase

Cycle 9 (supplementation) 24% decrease

Cycle 10 (no supplementation) ???

I'll let you know what happens this summer (June 22nd)...

Enjoy the rest of spring and cycle if you can! I'll be waiting for a heat wave reading a good book by the fire at our camp.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm very curious to know how long are the cycles you mention and also how do you take curcumin?

I understand that each cycle is exactly the same of the last one, except for the presence/absence of Curcumin C3 + omega3 and flaxoil pills. Is that correct?

Many thanks,
Sherlock, the Italian friend of Margaret

L.P. Cells said...

It is a 28 day cycle in which I take 25 mg of Rev on days 1-21 in the evening about an hour before bed. I take the supplements all together in the morning ~10 hours later on an empty stomach. I usually eat breakfast within about 1/2 hour. I also take a D3+K2 (1000 IU + 90 mcg) everyday and warfarin (2 mg) as a DVT prophylaxis. The cycles are exactly the same as you suspected except for the presence/absense of Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex with Bioperine, EPA/DHA and flaxoil pills.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the clarification. Your results are amazing!
btw, what is K2?

Sherlock

L.P. Cells said...

Vitamin K and D, and several minerals are bone health related supplements. Dr. Susan Brown is a prominent scholar on bone health focusing mainly on osteoporosis. MM bone related issues occur in approximately 80% of MM patients. A diet rich in bone growth promoting nutrients is the goal behind my Vitamin K2 and D3 supplementation.

I posted about K2 last year... http://laughingplasmacells.blogspot.com/2008/11/vitamin-k2.html

I take an anticoagulant as a prophylaxis for Revlimid caused DVT side effect. My oncologist monitors my coagulation (PT/INR) to obtain a very slight 'thining'.

Menaquinone (Vitamin K2) is capable of blocking the blood thinning action of anticoagulants like warfarin, which work by interfering with the action of Vitamin K1. It also reverses the tendency of these drugs to cause arterial calcification in the long term. Groups which may suffer from secondary vitamin K deficiency include those taking anticoagulants.

Hopeful said...

Hello,
I’m looking for some help and guidance.
I was just labeled mgus/smm May 7-2009…
Can I email you in private?
Also like to thank you for taking the time to Post is helps so
much for people like me!
I’m in the US…NJ
43 year old male.
Regards,
Hopeful1966

L.P. Cells said...

You can contact me at laughingplasmacells at gmail

Be sure to check out Margaret's Corner. http://margaret.healthblogs.org/